Sunday, February 2, 2020

A New Chapter Begins

When I last posted here in 2011, I was a typical New Yorker – single in my mid-thirties and more intimately acquainted with Gotham’s restaurant scene and dizzying array of delivery options than I was with my (tiny) kitchen.

Alot happens in eight years.

Along with a much-needed kitchen makeover, I undertook some significant, long overdue work on myself. As I discovered a new recipe for happiness, life – like dessert – saved the best for last, sending me my two greatest loves.

All smiles with my two main squeezes



Like me, my dream guy Steve and my beloved pup Benji appreciate the pleasures of good food -- especially when it’s shared. Steve also happens to be a fantastic cook. In the 11 months we’ve been together, he’s whipped up several delicious dinners including one-pot Spaghetti Bolognese, a pre-Thanksgiving feast I'll never forget and perfectly grilled steaks rivaling the best steakhouses.

Steak & potatoes à la Steve


My soulmate both in and out of the kitchen, Steve has made me fall in love with cooking all over again as we explore new flavors and dishes together. Last night, we reminisced fondly about the greatest meal (so far!) that we’ve prepared together: breaded chicken cutlets and spiralized zucchini ‘pasta’ with mushrooms, olive oil and truffle salt. Simple yet simply divine. I smile every time I land on the picture of it in my phone.

Chicken cutlet & zucchini pasta...delish!!

Thankfully, my own culinary repertoire has expanded since I first discovered a kitchen could be used for more than microwaving. DNA may have something to do with it. I come from a long line of incredible cooks, most memorably my beloved maternal grandparents. They never knew from recipes. Their generous hearts and Ecuadorian and Puerto Rican roots gave them all the ingredients necessary to make enduring magic in the kitchen.

Grandpa and Abuelita  ♥♥

I’m excited to continue this beautiful family tradition of home cooking that has been passed down generation after generation. And to continue sharing what I learn along the way.

Bon appétit!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment